Columbia University Libraries (CUL) is seeking a dynamic library information professional to provide leadership in support of its expanding programs in digital collection building, digital archives and digital preservation. CUL is engaged in a number of exciting, high-profile digital initiatives, grant-supported projects and software development and implementation programs, and is also involved in collaborative activities with other research libraries and colleague institutions.
The Head of Digital Collections and Preservation Systems is a new position reporting to the Director of Digital Library and Scholarly Technologies that will:
– guide and oversee the work of the Digital Collections and Preservation Systems team (currently four positions);
– collaborate closely with leadership and staff in Columbia’s special and distinctive collections, Preservation and Digital Conversion, and Original and Special Materials Cataloging teams;
– provide coordination and institutional leadership in CUL planning for and implementing systems and services for the trustworthy, long-term preservation of CUL digital content;
– help guide and manage the further development of new and existing software platforms;
– build close and productive working relationships with other technology staff within the Libraries and serve on project teams and special digital initiatives;
– assist with grant preparation and reporting;
– represent Columbia’s digital collections, archives and preservation systems and services externally in professional and technical forums.
Required Education, Training, Skills, and Experience:
– ALA-accredited MLS/MLIS, MIS or the equivalent combination of a relevant advanced degree or experience working in an academic library;
– knowledge of principles and key trends in the field of digital libraries and digital preservation
– knowledge of current and emergent metadata standards for digital content and preservation
– ability to collaborate with various library units and operations in complex environment
– excellent written and verbal skills and strong interpersonal skills
– at least 1 year of supervisory experience of library professional staff
– proven proficiency in developing digital projects, digital project management
– participation and involvement in professional and scholarly associations and a record of scholarly engagement
– at least two years’ experience working with digital collections
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and strongly encourages individuals of all backgrounds and cultures to consider this position.
For immediate consideration please apply online: