Library Consultants at the SC State Library work independently and as part of the Library Development Team to encourage best practices in public library management and operations. Consultants are keenly interested in achieving excellence for all South Carolina libraries. Consultants conduct site visits to libraries to observe, assess, advise, and train on a broad range of library practices and procedures. Each Consultant serves as a resource for public libraries and for the State Library, and contributes significantly to the overall work of the Agency.
The Consultant identifies barriers to access and recommends resources, collections, equipment, and facility improvements to address particular library problems. The Consultant acts as a liaison between the State Library and selected state and national forums and local agencies and institutions. The Consultant assesses the need for improvement in public library staff awareness and skills, and works with the Library Development team to identify, create, and directly provide training and other learning opportunities.
Consultants demonstrate skills in any of a number of library operations. Currently the Library Development team is in need of Consultants with expertise and interest in the following areas:
- Inclusive library services and programs; accessible collections and resources
- Diversity of all kinds as personified in public library patrons and staff
- Technology innovation: Virtual reality, maker culture, robotics
- Public library technology improvements and standards
- Digital literacy (21st Century) skills for library staff and public
The South Carolina State Library is the primary administrator of federal and state support for the state’s libraries. Headquartered in Columbia, S.C., the State Library develops, supports, and sustains a thriving statewide community of learners committed to making South Carolina stronger. We serve the people of South Carolina by supporting state government and libraries to provide opportunities for learning in a changing environment.
Hiring Range: $46,000 – $55,000
Minimum Requirement and Additional Requirements
A masters’ degree in library science from an American Library Association accredited college or university and 3-5 years professional experience in a public library position bearing responsibility for a core service area, branch or headquarters facility, or other oversight capacity; public service experience strongly preferred.
Familiarity with public library trends and current issues, especially in small rural communities. Awareness of age-related, cultural, social, racial, ethnic, and economic conditions that may impede access to library resources and services. Spanish language skills a plus.
Must be comfortable and confident in meeting people of all abilities in professional situations. Must be able to plan and provide in-person training to large and small groups. Must communicate effectively in writing, by email and telephone, and write clear and accurate planning documents, project outlines, evaluations, and reports.
The State Library actively promotes professional development and learning opportunities for staff. Work takes place in an office environment. No physically demanding requirements, but ability to retrieve library materials is essential. Limited overnight travel required.
- Supplemental questions are considered part of your official application. Any misrepresentation will result in your disqualification from consideration for employment.
- Please complete the state application to include all current and previous work/salary history and education. A resume will not be accepted nor reviewed in lieu of a completed state application to determine if an applicant has met the qualifications for the position.
- Please include a cover letter, resume, and three professional references. Reference and background check will be conducted.
How to Apply
Find a full position description and instructions for applying on the South Carolina State Library Jobs List: http://www.statelibrary.sc.gov/jobs/general-library-consultant
South Carolina State Library
1500 Senate Street
Columbia, SC 29201