OFFICIAL TITLE: Executive Director of the Library
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs
Worcester State University invites applications for a visionary academic library leader with a track record of inspiring others and fostering innovation. We seek applicants with a commitment to communication and collaboration who share our mission of educating life-long learners. In addition to leading and managing the Library, we seek candidates who embrace information literacy and can promote it throughout the university.
1. Plans, directs, and supervises the overall operation of the Library and services provided by it to the University and external community.
2. Determines and maintains schedules to ensure staff coverage during operating hours suited to student and faculty needs.
3. Evaluates professional librarians and monitors evaluation of support personnel.
4. Supervises the operation of acquisition, interlibrary loan, circulation, reference, instructional, electronic resource, and technical service.
5. Serves as coordinator and member of the library’s reference and instructional services team.
6. Directs and provides general and research reference services.
7. Determines need for staff resources in professional and support positions to ensure provision of coverage and service.
8. Develops long-range and annual plans for development of all library collections in all formats.
9. Works with other members of the campus community in the fulfillment of the University’s mission and goals.
10. Establishes and maintains, in consultation with the faculty and other librarians, the library’s collection development process in all areas and formats.
11. Develops, proposes, and implements plans for the incorporation of technology in library services and creates an environment that promotes information literacy.
12. Plans, prepares, submits, and administers the Library budget.
13. Develops, along with Library staff, University administration, and faculty, policies and procedures for the continuing improvement of the Library and its operations.
14. Coordinates the preparation of promotional literature relevant to the Library, including but not limited to annual reports, newsletters, handbooks, and occasional reports on Library usage and educational programs.
15. Represents the University as a member of the Academic And Research Collaborative, the Central Massachusetts Regional Library System, the Worcester Consortium of Higher Education, and the Massachusetts Conference of Chief Librarians of Public Higher Education Institutions.
16. Builds relationships with local, regional, and national professional library organizations, public schools, and the greater Worcester community.
1. MLS from an ALA-accredited institution.
2. Broad knowledge of library automation systems, online resources, and instructional technologies.
3. Strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
4. The ability to work with diverse constituencies.
5. A history of successful planning, budget, and personnel management experience in an academic library.
6. An additional advanced degree is desirable.
Worcester State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. M/F/D/V. Women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.
All applicants shall apply online through Interview Exchange. Necessary documents for submission include a cover letter, resume, 3 reference letters written within six months of posting date and signed by hand, and official (non-student-issue) transcript of highest earned degree. Documents which cannot be uploaded to one’s e-account can be sent to Johanie Rodriguez in Human Resources via the following methods: email to email@example.com; fax to 508.929.8163; or mail to Human Resources, Worcester State University, 486 Chandler Street, Worcester, MA 01602-2597