Manhattan College is an independent Catholic coeducational institution in the Lasallian tradition. We expect our faculty, administration, and staff to be knowledgeable about our mission and to make a positive contribution to that mission. Manhattan College, seeks to fill the position of Director, O’Malley Library by July 1, 2014.
Manhattan College is seeking a new Director of the O’Malley Library. The Director is responsible for administration and planning of all library operations and reports to the Provost. Primary responsibilities include strategic leadership for all functions of the library, program development and evaluation, the hiring and supervision of staff and support of their professional development and the preparation, submission, justification, and expenditure of the library budget. The Librarian participates in outreach, marketing and collaboration by participating on appropriate College-wide committees, in local, regional, and professional organizations, and representing the College at professional conferences.
The successful candidate will lead the College’s effort to develop and implement a shared vision of library services at a comprehensive university in the 21st century, with a focus on services that can best support the learning and research of students and faculty. The new Director will possess proven strategic planning and management skills and will lead the College in its continuing efforts to integrate state-of-the-art technology into the library.
• Coordinates creation and manages delivery of the library’s user-centered strategic plan that will serve the needs of diverse programs across the college;
• Collaborates with relevant stakeholders to articulate the contribution of the library to learning and research at Manhattan College;
• Provides leadership and support for all library operations including budget, personnel, collection development, policy, instruction, technology (including the institution’s course management system and instruction initiatives), and facilities;
• Facilitates information literacy and fluency at all levels and across disciplines among faculty and students, providing tools for education in the information age;
• Works with Grants Administrator to apply for grants, as appropriate, which support capital and operating budgets;
• Ensures compliance with all licensing and copyright laws and regulations;
• Maintains appropriate documentation and coordinates assessment and reporting of library operations, creating a culture of continuous improvement;
• Serves on college committees for academic policy and governance as elected or appointed.
• ALA-accredited graduate degree or ALA-recognized international equivalent;
• Five years of supervisory, administrative, and management experience in a higher education library setting;
• Proven success in developing and implementing strategic plans;
• Demonstrated success in fostering a collaborative and collegial environment that uses both data and consensus building in decision-making;
• A strong understanding of new and developing technologies in higher education and librarianship;
• Knowledge of current issues and trends in librarianship such as instructional technology, pedagogy, copyright, scholarly communication, and assessment;
• Proven ability to work with professional integrity and a commitment to building strong relationships that respect diversity of identity, background, and perspectives.
The position is available beginning July 1, 2014.
Review of applications and nominations will begin immediately
and will continue until February 20, 2014.
Please email cover letter, resume, and 5 references to:
Attention: Barbara Fabe, Vice President for Human Resources
Manhattan College welcomes applications from women, members of minority groups, and those attracted to a college with a Catholic identity. An AA/EO Employer M/F/D/V.