Yale University offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Conveniently located between Boston and New York, New Haven is the creative capital of Connecticut with cultural resources that include two major art museums, a critically-acclaimed repertory theater, state-of-the-art concert hall, and world-renowned schools of Architecture, Art, Drama, and Music.
Position Focus: The Director of Library Information Technology will lead a team of information technology staff in supporting and facilitating the mission of Yale University Library—as a leader, partner, and manager—supervising a team of twenty-five staff and collaborating with other IT staff inside and outside the library. Reporting to the Associate University Librarian for Administrative Services & IT, the director will provide strategic direction and guide operations across an extensive set of services and functions.
Library technology efforts include implementing and maintaining discovery systems and digital library systems with Blacklight/Solr/Hydra-Fedora, with programming predominantly in Ruby. Supporting an engaged local and worldwide user community and over 500 library staff in fifteen locations, enterprise systems include Voyager, ArchivesSpace, Summon, ProQuest 360-suite, Aeon, ILLiad, Ares, GFA-LAS, the Springshare products, Preservica, and Omeka. Relying heavily on cloud service providers and central university IT, Library IT provides infrastructure services including Drupal, a 1000 TB storage system, and 150 virtual or physical servers (Linux, Windows, and Solaris).
Yale University Library is one of the world’s leading research libraries. Our collections, both published and unpublished, include all formats, ranging from papyri to born-digital content. The library is engaged in numerous technology-rich initiatives in support of scholarship at Yale. The Director of Library IT will foster an evolving service partnership model where staff throughout the library take a growing role in development and support of digital technology services.
Depending on professional background, the final candidate will be hired as a Librarian-5 or as a Manager (Grade 29).
Essential Duties include Strategic Leadership, Administrative Leadership, Collaboration, Culture and Teamwork, Project Management, and Operations. For details, see full job description at http://your.yale.edu/work-yale/employment STARS req. ID 38628BR.
Required Education, Skills and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Library/Information Science, IT, Management, Computer Science, or a related field and twelve years of experience as an IT manager, with significant supervisory responsibilities in libraries, higher education, or cultural heritage; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Demonstrated ability to provide leadership and direction in information technology. Demonstrated problem solving skills, effective consistent project coordination, leadership, and communications, and the ability to bring projects to fruition.
• Demonstrated ability and achievement in managing staff, including ability to identify and address gaps in organizational structure, staff capacity & skills, and develop staff to build relevant skills. Demonstrated ability to lead through inclusion and engagement of departmental staff.
• Demonstrated ability in managing budgets.
• Demonstrated excellent oral and written communications and analytical ability.
• Demonstrated ability to develop and sustain effective relationships internally and externally with stakeholders, partners, and user groups. Demonstrated experience working collaboratively and independently with various groups within a complex organization and rapidly changing team environment. Ability to assess client needs, synthesize a shared vision, and work collaboratively to help clients achieve goals.
• Ability to create and maintain a collaborative work environment where department staff function effectively as a team and treat each other with mutual respect.
• Demonstrated excellent customer service skills, flexibility and a strong commitment to innovation, creativity and excellence. Demonstrated ability to maintain a focus on customer satisfaction, needs, and confidence in services provided.
• Proven ability to ensure continuous service availability and business continuity, including information security, compliance requirements, and high availability.
Yale University assigns ranks to librarian positions based on a combination of professional experience and accomplishments. Librarian ranking information can be found at: http://web.library.yale.edu/
Preferred Education, Skills and Experience: Project management experience and certification. Experience developing or overseeing the development of open source software. Experience managing or integrating enterprise library systems.
The University and the Library
The Yale University Library, as one of the world’s leading research libraries, collects, organizes, preserves, and provides access to and services for a rich and unique record of human thought and creativity. It fosters intellectual growth and supports the teaching and research missions of Yale University and scholarly communities worldwide. A distinctive strength is its rich spectrum of resources, including around 12.8 million volumes and information in all media, ranging from ancient papyri to early printed books to electronic databases. The Library is engaging in numerous projects to expand access to its physical and digital collections. Housed in eighteen buildings including the Sterling Memorial Library, the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, the Center for Science and Social Science Information, and the Bass Library, it employs a dynamic and diverse staff of approximately five hundred who offer innovative and flexible services to library readers. For additional in formation on the Yale University Library, please visit the Library’s web site at http://web.library.yale.edu/
Salary and Benefits
We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity, rewards and excellence of a career at Yale University. One of the country’s great workplaces, Yale University offers exciting opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and true growth. Our benefits package is among the best anywhere, with a wide variety of insurance choices, liberal paid time off, fantastic family and educational benefits, a variety of retirement benefits, extensive recreational facilities, and much more.
How to Apply
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Applications, consisting of a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references should be submitted by applying online at http://your.yale.edu/work-yale/employment The STARS req. ID for this position is 38628BR.
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.