The Harvard Library seeks a strategic, collaborative innovator to join its organization in a newly created role as the Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. The Director will join leadership, staff, constituents, stakeholders, and others committed to successful and progressive change that requires full organizational participation, responsibility, and support.
Reporting to the Vice President for the Harvard Library, the Director leads the development and implementation of an effective strategy to build a vibrant culture of diversity, equity and inclusion for all members of the Harvard Library community and to advance priorities in all facets of the Library’s collections, services and spaces.
The Director is a member of the Senior Management Team, Library Leadership Team, and the Diversity and Inclusion Leadership Team.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
With vision and intellectual leadership, coordinate and guide all efforts to define, understand, assess, foster, and cultivate diversity, equity and inclusion as a fundamental institutional and educational resource.
In collaboration with Library leaders, staff, constituents and stakeholders, design and implement strategic priorities and initiatives to advance diversity, equity and inclusion in Harvard Library’s workplace, collections, services and spaces.
Provide advocacy across the Harvard Library and network with other similarly focused University staff to identify and advance opportunities for inclusive best practices and programs grounded in excellence.
Assess learning opportunities across multiple dimensions of diversity and develop programs designed to build an equitable and inclusive community and strengthen partnerships across the University.
Inventory diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives underway at libraries to share and advance equitable and inclusive practices relating to staff recruitment and development, collection policies, library services and accessible and welcoming spaces.
Develop and implement strategies that align with Library and University efforts to:
• Enhance staff recruitment to broaden outreach to diverse candidates, promote career opportunities, and ensure equitable and inclusive policies and practices;
• Employ staff development and retention best practices to build a diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace;
• Ensure collection policies reflect diverse perspectives;
• Deliver library services that are inclusive and accessible; and
• Provide library spaces that are welcoming and accessible for all constituents, including students, staff, faculty and academic personnel.
Promote priorities, initiatives and resources utilizing multiple communication methods including but not limited to a diversity, equity and inclusion website.
Gather and analyze data to report on the current landscape, progress and future areas of focus.
Identify resources needed to implement strategic priorities and initiatives.
Develop processes to assess and measure success through data analysis, project management, change management, and alignment with University-wide efforts to advance diversity, equity and inclusion.
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION AT HARVARD LIBRARY
Across Harvard Library, our work is enriched by our diverse campus community. Our unique and wide-ranging abilities, experiences, and perspectives are integral to achieving Harvard University’s mission of excellence in research, teaching, and learning for our patrons, our collections, and our workplace. We believe that an inclusive environment that cultivates and promotes understanding, respect, and collaboration across our diverse workforce enables our success.
We invite individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences and abilities to be a part of our community of over 700 staff members. Our work with faculty, students and researchers to explore answers to intellectual questions, enduring and new, and to seek solutions to the world’s most consequential problems, requires that we not only reflect, but also champion our diverse society.
Harvard Library inspires collaboration, reflection, experimentation, and discovery connecting users to related disciplines and to University-wide teaching resources. The Library engages users through curated discovery, digital collections, reimagined physical space, and specialized research support. Today, Harvard Library’s holdings range from traditional print collections to rapidly expanding access to digital resources. Harvard Library provides the University’s faculty, students, and researchers—now and in the future—with exceptional experiences and comprehensive access to these materials.
Harvard Library is a proud member of the Association of College & Research Libraries (ACRL) Diversity Alliance.
Position will remain open until filled, however applications will be reviewed beginning Monday, January 7, 2019.
• Master’s degree or equivalent experience.
• 10+ years of related experience, preferably in a large, complex organization.
• Demonstrated track record of building and advancing organization-wide diversity, equity and inclusion programs.
• Experience in building and maintaining critical collaborations and partnerships across functions and disciplines internally and externally in a matrixed environment
• Effective interpersonal and communication skills building credibility and unity around difficult and complex issues.
• Strong leadership and organizational development skills to promote, execute and assess impact of strategic priorities and initiatives utilizing data analysis, project management and change management methodologies.
• Results-oriented with proven ability to manage multiple and competing priorities and to evaluate program/project outcomes against planned goals.
• Ability to develop creative and effective solutions that address relevant organizational needs and to leverage a broad internal and external network of subject matter experts.
• Ability to handle highly confidential information with discretion, sensitivity and good judgment.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/