Yale University offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Conveniently located between Boston and New York, New Haven is the creative capital of Connecticut with cultural resources that include two major art museums, a critically-acclaimed repertory theater, state-of-the-art concert hall, and world-renowned schools of Architecture, Art, Drama, and Music.
Position Focus: Reporting to the Associate Univ. Librarian for Administrative Services & IT, with strong client relationships with the Office of Public Affairs & Communications (OPAC) and the Office of the University Printer (OUP), develop and maintain cohesive and innovative communication strategies for the Yale Library system.
• Direct and oversee communications for the entire YUL system, with the exception of Beinecke, with a focus on developing, implementing and maintaining a strategic communications program to maximize the visibility of library services, resources, collections and projects, in support of the Library’s strategic vision and programmatic priorities. Use diplomacy and influence to ensure that the communication plan for each library is aligned with the Library’s overall strategic communication plan. To this end, work in an advisory capacity with librarians whose job descriptions include outreach.
• Conceptualize, design, and develop core branding for web and print throughout the library to ensure a consistent identity for all library publications and presentations. Routinely review and revise the Library’s strategy, as necessary, for publications in all formats.
• Advise Library unit heads on Yale design guidelines, serve as consultant in the creation and design of promotional materials for print and web, and approve final material. Revise and maintain an authoritative guide on best practices for design for the library, including, but not limited to: use of the Library wordmark, logos, colors, images and Yale branding.
• Build strong relationships with internal Yale contacts including OUP, OPAC, Development Office, and academic units to collaborate on communication strategies and channels. Promote, develop and maintain strong external contacts with press media and vendors. Act as liaison with OPAC in providing content for press releases and news announcements.
• Create and execute marketing plans in support of library projects, seeing them through to completion. Advise library staff on the production of publicity materials for events and exhibits; design materials and/or oversee the design process from beginning to end. Proof all publications and approve them for printing or web. Work with the OUP and OPAC to ensure alignment with the University communication goals.
• Maximize the library’s social media reach. Promote the use of social media and use social media to support of library programs. Ensure frequent posting on existing social media channels. Identify emerging new media channels for library marketing as they become highly popular. Educate library staff about the use of social media for library communications.
• Create and edit a broad range of communications materials for multiple audiences in electronic, print, audiovisual and other formats. Oversee the update and creation of materials describing the Library’s work and publicizing library events, exhibits and news. Edit the Library’s newsletter and the Annual Report. Develop other forms of external communications.
• Working with the Library’s web manager, provide the design and content of the library’s website, with a focus on news, events and exhibits.
• Maintain the Library’s communication listervs and physical mailing lists. In collaboration with the Director of Development, determine the dissemination of materials to library supporters, friends and donors.
• Prepare, edit and disseminate press releases, media advisories and other communications materials in collaboration with OPAC, other University press contacts, and local and national media and develop and nurture relationships with these contacts. Create and manage a database of media contacts to increase the visibility of the Library. Enhance the overall quality of media relations for key stakeholders by preparing them for media interviews.
• Create brochures and other materials used in fundraising.
• Manage staff, students and resources as necessary.
Required Education, Skills and Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree in related field and six years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
• Demonstrated ability overseeing the design and production of print and web publications. Proven success developing and executing an organization’s social media strategy
• Collaborative leadership. Superior writing skills. Ability to work with all levels of staff on a wide variety of projects.
• Strong creative skills with excellent graphic and design sense. Ability to create a visual identity for an organization.
• Exceptional interpersonal skills. Ability to work with a wide range of personnel in a variety of authority positions. Good team player.
• Proven ability to complete projects within deadlines.
Preferred Education, Skills and Experience: Understanding of academic environments. Experience working in a large research library.
The University and the Library
The Yale University Library, as one of the world’s leading research libraries, collects, organizes, preserves, and provides access to and services for a rich and unique record of human thought and creativity. It fosters intellectual growth and supports the teaching and research missions of Yale University and scholarly communities worldwide. A distinctive strength is its rich spectrum of resources, including around 15 million volumes and information in all media, ranging from ancient papyri to early printed books to electronic databases. The Library is engaging in numerous projects to expand access to its physical and digital collections. Housed in eighteen buildings including the Sterling Memorial Library, the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, the Center for Science and Social Science Information, and the Bass Library, it employs a dynamic and diverse staff of approximately five hundred who offer innovative and flexible services to library readers. For additional information on the Yale University Library, please visit the Library’s web site at www.library.yale.edu.
Salary and Benefits
We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity, rewards and excellence of a career at Yale University. One of the country’s great workplaces, Yale University offers exciting opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and true growth. Our benefits package is among the best anywhere, with a wide variety of insurance choices, liberal paid time off, fantastic family and educational benefits, a variety of retirement benefits, extensive recreational facilities, and much more. Salary will be competitive and commensurate with education and experience.
How to Apply
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Applications, consisting of a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references should be submitted by applying online at http://bit.ly/YaleDoC
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.