Campus Description:Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island’s scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff. The University is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities and co-manager of nearby Brookhaven National Laboratory, a multidisciplinary research laboratory supporting world class scientific programs utilizing state-of-the-art facilities. Stony Brook University Medical Center is Suffolk County’s only academic medical center and tertiary care provider. Many opportunities exist for collaborative research, and in some cases, joint appointments with BNL or with Medical School departments.
|Descriptive Title: Department Head, Circulation Services and Interlibrary Loan||REF#: F-7074-12-01-F|
|Budget Title: Assistant Librarian||Faculty Position|
|Department: Library||Campus: Stony Brook West Campus/HSC|
|Salary: Commensurate with experience|
Required Qualifications:ALA-accredited MLS/MLIS degree. Two years of full time library work experience. Demonstrated ability to coordinate the borrowing and lending of physical and digital library collections through library circulation operations, interlibrary loan, and document delivery services. Two years minimum full time supervisory experience. Demonstrated knowledge of current technology trends as they apply to the design and delivery of information services. Experience with integrated library automation systems. Demonstrated record of ongoing professional development and contribution. Ability to take initiative, prioritize, meet deadlines and manage change. Demonstrated ability to provide customer service. Strong understanding of copyright principles. Knowledge of trends in resource sharing and scholarly communications in relevant disciplines. Strong analytical, organization, customer service, interpersonal and communication skills. Demonstrated ability to apply existing and emerging technology to new projects/ventures. Ability to work both independently and collegially in a demanding and rapidly changing environment.
Preferred Qualifications: Work experience in an academic or research library. Working knowledge of OCLC and ILLiad systems. Experience with Ariel, QuickDoc, and DocLine. Experience with ExLibris Aleph management system. Teaching experience in a classroom setting. Knowledge of current issues and trends in mobile and Web 2.0 technologies. Library collection development experience.
Responsibilities & Requirements: The Stony Brook University Libraries seek a user-oriented and innovative librarian to join its team. The Head of Circulation Services and Interlibrary Loan will explore new models of access and library collection sharing, incorporate emerging technologies, analyze workflows, and provide services that are responsive to the information needs of the university in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment. This position participates in the setting of policies in consultation with other Department Heads, Associate Directors, and the Dean and Director of Libraries. The Head of Circulation Services and Interlibrary Loan will be responsible for the following:
- Direct supervision of staffing for the Circulation Services and Interlibrary Loan Departments for the Health Sciences Library and the West Campus Libraries.
- Supervise student assistants in all of assigned areas, as required.
- Supervise management of the Main Stacks, including circulating materials and serials processing, as appropriate.
- Streamline electronic delivery of library resources.
- Set policy standards for loan periods, fines and billing for overdue, missing, and lost items.
- Identify appropriate technological advancements to implement improved circulation and material delivery services.
- Deliver reports detailing borrowing and lending trends.
- Provide and ensure superior customer service.
- Generate financial reports of expenditures and revenue related to interlibrary loan, document delivery, and circulation services.
- Compile and maintain statistical reports for interlibrary loan, document delivery, and circulation policies and procedures.
- Serve as Copyright Clearance Center librarian representative for the campus.
- Communicate and consult with campus legal counsel regarding fair use and copyright compliance in library material requests and use.
- Provide specialized information delivery support as needed and by appointment.
- Participate in library information literacy and research support activities.
- Design and collaborate with other librarians to produce web-based research guides and tutorials.
- Utilize social networks and other technologies to create awareness about library services and resources.
- Take on collection development duties, act as a library subject specialist, and serve as a departmental liaison for academic departments.
- Work collaboratively with faculty to assist them with document delivery instruction, including designing effective training tools and user education.
- Participate in library-wide activities and serve on library and university committees.
- Participate in and contribute to professional organizations and scholarly activities.
- Engage in library and professional development activities.
- Perform additional duties, as assigned.
Special Notes: This is a tenure track position. Faculty rank and salary dependent upon qualifications and experience. FLSA Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously. Anticipated Start Date: As soon as possible. Some evenings and weekend work will be required.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Application Procedure: Those interested in this position should submit a State employment application, cover letter, resume/CV and the names of three professional references to:
Linda A. Catanese
Library, Director’s Office
Melville Library, W-1511
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-3300