Discover. Innovative. Collaborate. Inform. A few words we use to describe a career at OCLC.
OCLC, a worldwide library services organization headquartered in Dublin, Ohio, is a leader in information technologies and innovative online services. With office locations around the globe, OCLC employees are dedicated to offering premier services and software to help libraries cut costs while keeping pace with the demands of our information-driven society.
Database Specialist I provides consulting services to libraries to assist them in synchronizing a local catalog or metadata hub with WorldCat. Uses technical training and experience to process data through OCLC’s data ingest systems. Data loading responsibilities include providing data evaluation, selecting appropriate profile criteria from a library of data modifications and specifying new modifications to match the library’s requirements when there are no existing options to choose from.
· Promoting and supporting offline updating (batchload) of WorldCat and associated databases by providing expertise for bibliographic data, detailed holdings records and local bibliographic data in WorldCat.Ensuring the quality and integrity of the data before it is loaded into WorldCat.
· Continually building expertise in processing data through OCLC’s data ingest systems which include evaluating data, selecting appropriate profile criteria from a library of data modifications and specifying new modifications to match the library’s requirements when there are no existing options to choose from.
· Providing consulting, operational and technical support for users of WorldCat bibliographic data, Local Holdings Records and local bibliographic data.
· Acting as a Subject Matter Expert and advisor on behalf of OCLC users and staff during WorldCat data development and maintenance initiatives.
· Supporting and reviewing the creation of OCLC documentation, including dataloading instructions, serials cataloging rules, MARC Format for Holdings revision proposals, and other national and international standards.
· MLS from an ALA-accredited library school or other Master’s degree appropriate to the position or at least 2 years of increasing responsibilities in OCLC library experience; expertise in serials cataloging on the OCLC Cataloging System.
· Solid understanding of principles and practices of MARC21 Formats for Bibliographic Data.
· Knowledge of MARC Format for Holdings (MFHD) as well as standard cataloging tools, including Anglo-American Cataloguing Rules; Library of Congress Subject Headings and various classification schemes.
· Experience in coordinating projects.
· Ability to meet tight deadlines, production goals, and quality standards.
· Ability to effectively learn and work in a fast-paced environment along with the ability to manage several projects and varied tasks with minimal supervision.
· Experience using software tools to manipulate metadata.
· Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/