About SUNY Maritime College: SUNY Maritime College located on a 55-acre scenic waterfront property on the outskirts of New York City on the Throggs Neck peninsula where the East River meets Long Island Sound. The campus blends the best of two worlds: a comfortable college-town feel with the greatest city in the world. An impressive view of the sound extends toward the North Atlantic, yet only a few miles away are Yankee Stadium and midtown Manhattan. SUNY Maritime offers an array of employment opportunities stemming from entry level to professional positions which encourage growth and development among its employees.
Job Description: The Content Services Librarian will create and maintain a collection development strategy to proactively develop a specialized print and electronic collection that supports the research needs of our students, faculty, and staff. The Content Services Librarian will also ensure that the library materials budget is efficiently allocated and aligned with established needs, assess the library’s current collections for ongoing relevance and/or historical value and continually assess the effectiveness of the collection via circulation and usage statistics.
- Communicates the value of the print and electronic collections, including the Maritime Heritage collection, to the college community and beyond.
- Manages all aspects of the print and digital serials collections, including all electronic resources.
- Manages the cataloging process.
- Oversees inventory, including catalog and stack maintenance.
- Communicates with external providers including publishers, vendors, content providers, consortia, and technology suppliers via telephone, email, and in-person.
- Works with Digital Services Librarian, Campus IT and the Educational Technologist to ensure accessibility of electronic content.
- Works with Scholarly Communications Librarian to explore OER’s and other emerging content models.
As part of the library faculty team
- Serves as liaison to one or more academic departments
- Serves on various campus and SUNY-wide committees and participates in college governance
- Participates in information literacy programs as needed
- Creates online content to support student research (i.e. LibGuides)
- Provides in-person and virtual reference services
- Participates in departmental activities
- Actively participates in scholarly work
- MLS or equivalent degree from an ALA-Accredited Program
- Familiarity with current collection development best practices
- Ability to manage library materials budget
- Strong working knowledge of modern cataloging standards, including RDA, AARC2, LCSH, and MARC21
- Experience cataloging materials in a variety of formats
- Experience maintaining and troubleshooting bibliographic records, including batch processing
- Strong experience working with an Integrated Library System (Preferably Exlibris Aleph)
- Ability to manage large scale projects
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility to adapt to new technologies
- Additional graduate work
The Content Services Librarian is a United University Professions position. The anticipated salary range for the position $48,000 – $50,000 annually, with an outstanding benefits package. Salary will commensurate with experience. Review of applications will commence immediately and conclude when position is filled.
Special Notes: This is a full time calendar year appointment UUP position. Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA.
Internal and external posting to occur simultaneously
Budget Title: Assistant Librarian
Local Title: Content Services Librarian
Line #: 00583
SUNY Maritime College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, committed to recruiting, supporting and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. For our full non-discrimination statement, see:
SUNY Maritime College is committed to maintaining a safe environment for its students, faculty, staff, volunteers and the general public that use our facilities. Therefore, in order to ensure the hiring of employees of the highest integrity and to maintain a safe campus community, SUNY Maritime College will conduct pre-employment background investigations on all individuals for whom employment is to be offered.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161(https://www.goer.ny.gov/exec-161/exec-161-law.cfm), no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Persons interested in the above position should apply online.
- Cover letter including salary requirements
- Contact information for three professional references.
Returning Applicants – Login to your SUNY Maritime Careers Account to check your completed application, check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/qgstpjt5dvb9zh4c