Position Number: 1788
Department: University Library
Salary Range: $18.80-$20.30/hr
Work Hours per Week: 35
Band: Specialist B
Position Type: Full-time Staff
The Circulation Services Specialist oversees the unit’s point of service, circulates library materials, and answers questions and addresses concerns about access, borrowing, collections, resources, privileges, credentials, and accounts. The position manages and maintains the condition of the library’s print collection and its accuracy in the catalog; it also ensures that the patron databases are accurate and is responsible for the collection of fines, fees, and the replacement of lost and damaged library materials. The Circulation Services Specialists collaboratively manage the unit’s student staff, including responsibilities of hiring, scheduling, training, coaching, and evaluation.
Educational Requirements:A Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent in training and experience.
• 2 years of customer service and management/supervisory experience
• Experience in accounting or handling financial/monetary transactions
• Strong Excel or other organizational software experience
• Experience generating and analyzing reports
• Experience working with a team to complete common objectives
• Strong communication skills and ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks at once
• Attention to detail is essential
• Ability to solve problems and make judgments independently
• Experience dealing with confidential information
• Ability to resolve conflicts, handle stressful and/or emergency situations, and communicate effectively (both verbally and in writing)
• Ability to participate in planning and implementing short and long-term goals, make evaluative judgments, formulate exceptions to policies and procedures, and work without supervision
• Experience with Microsoft Access and database reporting
• Experience providing reference/research assistance
• Some education in Library Science
The successful completion of a background check is required.
The ability to work evening (until 11:30 PM) and weekend hours is required. The position serves as an essential service and is required to work in the event of the university operating with limited staffing. A significant amount of discretion and attentiveness to confidentiality is required in the administration of patron account related data and the resolution of account problems.
American University is a tobacco- and smoke-free campus.
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively “Protected Bases”) in its programs and activities.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/