Position Focus: The Chinese Technical Services Librarian has system-wide responsibility for management and coordination of technical services processes and functions for Chinese language materials including providing original and complex copy cataloging for Chinese language materials in all formats. Descriptive cataloging is performed in accordance with national standards and the requirements of Yale’s local online system. The Technical Services Librarians keep abreast of revisions in cataloging rules and trends, and apply new rules, interpretations, and techniques as appropriate. Subject analysis and classification assignment follow Library of Congress standards and local practice. Authority records follow NACO standards and are contributed to the national authority file. The Technical Services Librarian contributes to Yale University Library (YUL) technical services goal-setting and strategic planning and to decision-making on YUL techn ical services policy and procedures. He/she seeks opportunities to contribute to the Yale University Library through participation in committees, task forces, working groups, and projects. The Technical Services Librarian is active professionally in organizations such as the American Library Association (ALA), the Council on East Asian Libraries, and/or other relevant groups.
Required Education, Skills and Experience:
• Qualified individuals new to the library profession are welcome to apply.
• Master’s degree from an ALA‐accredited library school. A post‐graduate degree in a related discipline may be substituted for a master’s degree in library science.
• Demonstrated excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communications and analytical ability.
• Demonstrated record of designing projects and bringing them to a conclusion in a timely fashion.
• Experience working collegially, collaboratively, and independently with varied groups, within and across a complex organization and a rapidly changing, team environment.
• Ability to exercise appropriate professional judgment with collegiality, flexibility, accuracy, and attention to detail.
• Excellent communication skills (reading, writing, speaking) in Chinese and understanding of the ALA-LC Romanization scheme for Chinese (pinyin). Familiarity with both simplified and traditional Chinese scripts. Excellent communication skills in English.
• Excellent knowledge of RDA, LC-PCC PS, MARC, AACR2, LCSH, LCC, and PCC standards, and good understanding of authority control. Familiarity with current trends and best practices in cataloging and metadata services, and developments in metadata (Linked Data, BIBFRAME, etc.)
• Excellent computer skills. Experience with bibliographic services such as OCLC and network-based cataloging tools. Must be proficient in MS Office Suite and familiar with batch-load processing tools such as MarcEdit.
• Demonstrated ability to succeed in a collaborative, team-based environment. Ability to set priorities and adhere to deadlines in a fast-paced work environment. Commitment to a high level of service to faculty, staff and students.
Yale University assigns ranks to librarian positions based on a combination of professional experience and accomplishments. Librarian ranking information can be found at: http://www.library.yale.edu/about/departments/lhr/rank.html.
Preferred Education, Skills and Experience: Familiarity with Unicode, CJK script searching, indexing, and other issues in discovery systems. Experience in Chinese acquisitions. Familiarity with Chinese rare book cataloging. Knowledge of Chinese studies scholarship trends. Familiarity with one or more non-MARC metadata formats. Experience with tools and coding for batch-related metadata transformations. Working knowledge of basic SQL syntax.
The University and the Library
The Yale University Library, as one of the world’s leading research libraries, collects, organizes, preserves, and provides access to and services for a rich and unique record of human thought and creativity. It fosters intellectual growth and supports the teaching and research missions of Yale University and scholarly communities worldwide. A distinctive strength is its rich spectrum of resources, including around 12.8 million volumes and information in all media, ranging from ancient papyri to early printed books to electronic databases. The Library is engaging in numerous projects to expand access to its physical and digital collections. Housed in eighteen buildings including the Sterling Memorial Library, the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, and the Bass Library, it employs a dynamic and diverse staff of approximately five hundred who offer innovative and flexible services to library readers. For additional information on the Yale University Library, pleas e visit the Library’s web site at www.library.yale.edu.
Salary and Benefits
We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity, rewards and excellence of a career at Yale University. One of the country’s great workplaces, Yale University offers exciting opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and true growth. Our benefits package is among the best anywhere, with a wide variety of insurance choices, liberal paid time off, fantastic family and educational benefits, a variety of retirement benefits, extensive recreational facilities, and much more.
How to Apply: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Applications, consisting of a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references should be submitted by applying online at http://www.yale.edu/jobs. The STARS req. ID for this position is 35693BR.
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.