If you are ready to work in the World’s Borough, the Queens Library wants you!
The Queens Library is offering opportunities to work for one of the most dynamic and diverse urban libraries in the world. We are seeking highly-engaged, creative, customer service driven candidates who are eager for an opportunity to enrich lives in one of our 65 service locations.
Queens Library is a renowned leader in providing innovative library and educational services, developing new technology applications and fostering community engagement.
Recent accolades include:
• 2015 Winner ALA/Gale Cengage Learning & Reference Services Award
• 2014 ALA/Information Today “Library of the Future” Award
• 2013 Library of Congress Literacy Awards “Best Practice”
• 2013 Urban Libraries Council “Top Innovator” Award
• 2009 Library Journal “Library of the Year” Award
Annual salaries start at $45,704 for entry level librarians and range between $49,732 to $53,369 for senior/experienced librarians depending on experience.
• Performs excellent internal and external customer service and library service in response to the information needs of library users and the overall community with an emphasis on children.
• Promotes library collections and services to the public, both inside and outside the physical building.
• Responsible for readers’ guidance and reference services.
• Publicize, plan and conduct programs for children and parents including: toddler and pre-school reading times, picture book hour, arts and crafts programs, and summer reading clubs. Assists customers with the use of print and electronic resources.
• Recommends and refers customers and parents to alternative sources of information (internal and external) to the Library.
• Performs Collection Development with an emphasis on developing quality children materials including selecting and ordering materials.
• Monitors the public service floor.
• Assembles and arranges displays of books and other library materials. Assist in maintaining a pleasant, inviting, safe environment.
• Determines usage patterns of collections by assessing frequency of circulation, physical condition and other criteria.
• Maintains reference and circulation materials.
• Provides outreach to area elementary and nursery schools and community organizations serving children and families, informing them of library services and to develop partnerships for collaboration.
• Maintain and cultivate contact with schools and parents.
• May perform one or more of the following duties: investigate technologies that will improve services; create, develop, maintain, or contribute to the community library web page and social media; supervise hourly rate employees and volunteers; compile bibliographies and/or develop library user guides.
• Performs other duties as required.
• Schedule will include some Saturdays and evenings.
• Initiative, flexibility, cooperative teamwork and modeling exemplary customer service
• Must have a MLS/MLIS degree from an ALA-accredited library school.
• Must have the ability to work with a diverse population of children and effectively provide customer service to a large number of children simultaneously.
• Must be eligible for NYS librarian certification.
What we offer: Excellent salary and our comprehensive benefits package includes generous vacation/sick pay, medical, dental, vision, life insurance, defined benefit pension, 403B, deferred compensation and more. Opportunities to further your education and professional credentials are plentiful.
To Apply: Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com and reference “Children Librarian” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
Queens Library is an equal opportunity employer.