JOB SUMMARY: The New-York Historical Society is seeking a cataloger to work on its project to catalog approximately 12,000 small manuscript collections from the 17th to the 20th centuries known collectively as the American Historical Manuscript Collection. Reporting to the library’s Head of Cataloging and Metadata, the cataloger will work closely with the project’s other catalogers and with other library staff to build original online catalog records (or update existing records) for the collections at appropriate levels of description.
Position is funded through November 30, 2017.
EDUCATION: M.L.S. from an A.L.A.-accredited library school or equivalent.
• Two years of library cataloging experience preferred
• Knowledge of MARC21, AACR2, RDA, LCSH, and AAT
• Familiarity with DACS and/or DCRM(MSS)
• Manuscript cataloging, and/or archival description experience desirable
• Experience searching OCLC, and familiarity with online cataloging systems such as the Ex Libris Aleph system
• Familiarity with handling rare and fragile materials
• Good attention to detail, excellent oral and written communication skills, flexibility, and the ability to work with people as well as independently
• Experience with reading older manuscript materials
• Knowledge of American and New York history
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
• The cataloger will review collections to determine their scope and content. Based on information gathered during this process, he/she will build original online catalog records (or update existing online catalog records) for the collections at appropriate levels of description. Specific duties are as follows:
• Formulating or reviewing the formulation of collection titles to conform to current cataloging standards
• Entering or revising the physical description of collections as needed
• Composing or reviewing and updating scope and content notes
• Creating notes about provenance
• Adding subject headings and genre terms
• Providing added entries for personal and organizational names
• Verifying all headings in the Library of Congress authority files
PROMOTION OF THE PROJECT
• Writing occasional blog posts on the collections or aspects of the project that are of interest
• If space and resources permit, participating in the mounting of small exhibition
• Additional duties as requested.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee with or without accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This is largely a sedentary role using a computer; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stoop as necessary.
For consideration please send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to: email@example.com Please reference the job title in the subject line.
The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer.