Location: Adelphi University, Garden City, NY
Reporting to the Dean of Libraries through the Associate Dean for Technical and Automated Services, the Catalog Librarian will be responsible for the organization and bibliographic control of library materials in all formats to facilitate discovery and access by all users.
• Oversees the integrity of the libraries’ catalog and promotes discovery through the description of materials, assignment of classification, subject terms, and other access terms as well as authority control and maintenance of the online catalog.
• Performs and oversees original and complex copy cataloging for all formats, including but not exclusive to monographs, serials, non-print materials, government documents, special collections, licensed e-resources, and digitized content according to national standards.
• Oversees daily operations including record creation, maintenance, and deletion, and communication with other units and branches of the libraries.
• Recruits, trains, and supervises staff.
• Establishes standards and metrics to capture cataloging and maintenance activity.
• Develops cataloging policies and procedures.
• Determines specifications for bibliographic records acquired for e-resources and other materials and develops standards for loading bibliographic records into the online catalog in coordination with the Library’s IT Team.
• Works closely with Technical Services to develop processes that support bibliographic control, workflows and public service.
• Keeps current with professional knowledge of national cataloging standards, issues, and trends.
• Prepares annual cataloging statistics and other reports as required.
Other Responsibilities: Selects materials and serves as a liaison for one or more academic programs. Participates in the Libraries’ information literacy program. Provides services at Swirbul Library’s main reference desk including occasional evenings and weekends. Serves on University and Library committees. Participates in professional associations and activities. Participates in scholarly activities including research and publishing required for reappointment and tenure.
Qualifications: This is a tenure track library faculty position. Applicants must hold a master’s degree from an ALA accredited school of library/information science. A second post-baccalaureate degree or similar proof of advanced study is highly preferred and is required for promotion to the rank of Associate Professor and for tenure. Applicant must possess excellent supervisory, interpersonal, and communication skills as well as the ability to work effectively in a collegial environment.