Yale University offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Conveniently located between Boston and New York, New Haven is the creative capital of Connecticut with cultural resources that include three major museums, a critically-acclaimed repertory theater, state-of-the-art concert hall, and world-renowned schools of Architecture, Art, Drama, and Music.
General Purpose: Under the supervision and guidance of the Head of Technical Services and working in close collaboration with other staff members, performs a variety of support functions for significant collections of eighteenth- and nineteenth-century materials – prints, drawings, paintings, books, manuscripts, etc. Activities focus on the Library’s initiatives to make the collections accessible to readers by creating MARC records: performing a variety of catalog record analysis, problem resolution, quality assurance, and other catalog management activities to ensure that ORBIS online catalog records–in particular, those that are processed by OCLC for the retrospective conversion project-–meet both local and national standards, and comply with vendor and other contractual requirements. In addition, this position will provide direct support for readers’ services, acquisitions processes, the collections care initiatives, and for outreach programs such as exhibitions and loans. Performs clerical function incidental to library activity including coverage as needed for administrative assistant security desk.
Please be aware that this position is located at the Lewis Walpole Library in Farmington, CT.
Required Education and Experience: Six years of related work experience, four of them in the same job family at the next lower level, and high school level education; or four years of related work experience and an Associate’s degree; or little or no work experience and a Bachelor’s degree in a related field; or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
• Demonstrated proficiency with Voyager, OCLC, or other library management systems. Demonstrated knowledge and ability with cataloging practice and procedures. Proven proficiency with MARC records.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to read and understand English-language primary source documents, including hand-written texts, sufficiently to organize collections. Ability to use basic reference tools appropriately. Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment and initiative.
• Demonstrated proficiency with word processing, databases, and other office equipment, using Windows PC systems and software applications, spreadsheet, and email applications (Word, Excel, Outlook), and troubleshooting computer equipment tasks. Proven keyboard proficiency.
• Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to work independently and productively, to prioritize own work, to solve complex problems creatively, and to work efficiently and effectively independently and in a multi-tasking environment. Ability to work effectively and efficiently with colleagues in a team environment.
• References must indicate reliable attendance and punctuality, accuracy in detail, consistency and dependability in performing work assignments and following detailed procedures.
• Preferred Education, Experience and Skills: Strong library arts background. Experience working with special collections and/or rare materials. Academic experience in British history and/or graphic arts.
Application: For more information and immediate consideration, please apply online at http://bit.ly/2jWAbls. Please be sure to reference this website when applying for this position.
We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity, rewards and excellence of a career at Yale University. One of the country’s great workplaces, Yale University offers exciting opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and true growth. Our benefits package is among the best anywhere, with a wide variety of insurance choices, liberal paid time off, fantastic family and educational benefits, a variety of retirement benefits, extensive recreational facilities, and much more.
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.