Call for Proposals:
WALDO Professional Development Series 2018:A� Design 101:A� Academic Library Spaces for the 21st Century
Tuesday, June 12, 2018 A�9am-12pm a�� Fordham University, Rosehill Campus, Walsh Library, Oa�� Hare Room
Submission Deadline: March 30th, 2018
Please submit to:A� email@example.com
The Westchester Academic Library Directors Organization (WALDO) invites you to submit proposals addressing this yeara��s panel discussion theme, Design 101:A� Academic Library Spaces for the 21st Century.A� We are seeking a 45 keynote presentation and multiple short talks.A� Presenters will receive an honorarium as well as reimbursement for travel expenses.A� The event itself is free to public, and includes light breakfast buffet.
As libraries downsize their physical collections in the digital age, what are the approaches, challenges and best practices for planning and designing space that is student-centered, functional and adaptable, especially as technology opens new pathways for interacting, researching and learning?
Example topics include, but are not limited to:
- What are the new academic learning activities in libraries and how can we design spaces that support them?
- How are students learning and communicating?A� How can library space and technology enable and meet their dynamic needs?
- Changing library services, workflows and staffing and their impact on space design.
- Working with key stakeholders: effective collaborations between librarian, architect, faculty, staff, administrator, IT, student.
- Project planning: best practices for communication, data gathering and design.
- Political success:A� preventing clashes over mission and space allocation.
- Aesthetics versus functionality: striking the right balance
Types of Proposals:
- Keynote: (45 minute):A� 1 or more person(s) presenting with time for questions and discussion
- Short Talks: A�(15 minute): 1 or more person(s) presenting with time for questions and discussion
WALDO welcomes proposals that offer case studies, practical applications, guidance and higher-level frameworks and implications.A� Proposals should identify if they are for keynote or short talk. A�Presenters will receive an honorarium as well as reimbursement for travel expenses.A� The event is free to public and light breakfast buffet will be served.
The Westchester Academic Library Directors Organization (WALDO) is a membership organization supporting the procurement and administration of electronic information services in Westchester County, in the New York City metropolitan region, and in the nation at large since 1982.A� WALDO supports an annual professional development series to promote conversation and discussion on important topics in librarianship. A�A�Please see:A� http://www.waldolib.org/ for more on WALDO.
Please submit proposals byA�March 30, 2018
Send submissions to:A�firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions may be directed to event organizer, Mustafa Sakarya (email@example.com)
WALDO Executive Board Members:
Mustafa Sakarya, Mercy College (President)
Nicholas Alongi, Fordham University (President-Elect)
Rick Palladino, Iona College (Treasurer)
Ann Jusino, St. Johns University (Secretary)
Maureen Clements, Mercy College
Virginia Dunnigan, St. Thomas Aquinas
Linda Loschiavo, Fordham University
Susanne Markgren, Manhattan College
Jeff Rosedale, Manhattanville College
a�?Today’s libraries are incubators, collaboratories, the modern equivalent of the 17th-century coffeehouse: part information market, part knowledge warehouse, with some workshop thrown in for good measure– Alex Soojung-Kim Pang