Associate University Librarian for Administrative Services
Yale University Library
Schedule: Full-time (37.5 hours per week); Standard Work Week (M-F, 8:30-5:00)
Yale University offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Conveniently located between Boston and New York, New Haven is the creative capital of Connecticut with cultural resources that include two major art museums, a critically-acclaimed repertory theater, state-of-the-art concert hall, and world-renowned schools of Architecture, Art, Drama, and Music.
The University and the Library
The Yale University Library, as one of the world’s leading research libraries, collects, organizes, preserves, and provides access to and services for a rich and unique record of human thought and creativity. It fosters intellectual growth and is a highly valued partner in the teaching and research missions of Yale University and scholarly communities worldwide. A distinctive strength is its rich spectrum of resources, including more than 12.5 million volumes and information in all media, ranging from ancient papyri to early printed books to electronic databases. The Library is engaged in numerous digital initiatives designed to provide access to a full array of scholarly information. Housed in the Sterling Memorial Library and twenty school and departmental libraries, it employs a dynamic, diverse, and innovative staff of over 500 who have the opportunity to work with the highest caliber of faculty and students, participate on committees, and are involved in other areas of staff development. For additional information on the Yale University Library, please visit the Library’s web site at http://www.library.yale.edu/.
Serves as a strategic partner in the senior leadership of Yale University Library (YUL) to achieve the mission and goals of the University and YUL. Understands and monitors external and internal factors influencing YUL, collaborates on strategies for the effective use of financial and non-financial resources, and supports department managers in conceptualizing, prioritizing, and planning the activities and programs of YUL.
Reporting to the University Librarian, the AUL for Administrative Services provides vision, leadership, and strategic direction for library operational services including human resources, strategic planning, communication, security, delivery and facilities, including YUL’s high-density shelving facility. Provides comprehensive management for new system-wide initiatives and programs, including major facilities projects. Oversees the strategic planning process for the library system. Works with the University Librarian to ensure continuous process improvement and operational excellence. Collaborates on long-range planning, policy formulation, program development, and resource allocation that support the services and staff of YUL. Provides consultative direction to the YUL’s financial and fund-raising teams. Responsible for building and managing a team of administrative service professionals. Connects YUL and the University’s administrative services and ensures strategic alignment.
1. Serves as an active member of the Library’s senior leadership team. Supports, and when appropriate, drives YUL’s process for strategic planning with key stakeholders. Provides vision, leadership, and direct administrative oversight of assigned YUL departments.
2. Prioritizes and leads multiple projects while meeting deadlines and budget targets. Ensures overall effectiveness of YUL services and strengthens the impact of YUL on the University’s academic mission.
3. Contributes at the national level, recognizes library trends and opportunities, and uses this knowledge to enrich local programs and strategic planning. Represents YUL at local, regional, national and international levels.
4. Chairs library committees as necessary. Participates in University-wide initiatives. Serves as a sponsor for labor management programs.
5. Partakes in the planning and implementation of changes in YUL’s operations and ensures procedures are followed that promote smooth, effective and efficient operation of YUL departments.
6. Effectively represents YUL needs, opportunities and impact at the University level.
Required Education and Experience:
Master’s degree in Library or Information Science from an ALA-accredited library school or a post-graduate degree in a related field. Ten years of progressively responsible experience, five of which should be in a leadership role in an academic or research library or similar institution.
Required Skills and Abilities:
1. Excellent oral and written communication skills. Demonstrable interpersonal, analytical, and project management skills.
2. Demonstrated understanding and success managing human resources, facilities, and/or safety and security units. Ability to conceptualize, articulate, and deliver long- and short-range goals and participate in strategic planning in a very dynamic environment.
3. Excellent management skills with a strong commitment to fostering growth and development of others. Demonstrated skills managing staff in the delivery of user-centered services.
4. Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collaboratively with staff, students, faculty, and senior administrators in developing productive partnerships on campus and across institutions.
5. Demonstrated capacity for exercising leadership on a national and international scale.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
MBA. Formal project management training. Experience in a labor union environment. Financial management experience. Grant development and management experience. Contract and license negotiation experience. Long-range facility planning experience.
Salary and Benefits
We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity, rewards and excellence of a career at Yale University. One of the country’s great workplaces, Yale University offers exciting opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and true growth. Our benefits package is among the best anywhere, with a wide variety of insurance choices, liberal paid time off, fantastic family and educational benefits, a variety of retirement benefits, extensive recreational facilities, and much more.
Applications consisting of a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references should be sent by creating an account and applying online at http://www.yale.edu/jobs for immediate consideration – the STARS req ID for this position is 18906BR. Please be sure to reference 18906BR in your cover letter.
Background Check Requirements
All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. Internal candidates may be subject to a motor vehicle or credit check for this position based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent on successful completion of the required background check.
Please visit http://www.yale.edu/hronline/
Yale University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Yale values diversity in its faculty, staff, and students and strongly encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented minority groups.