Cornell University’s Hospitality, Labor, and Management (HLM) Library seeks candidates for the position of Associate Director, who will bring their philosophy and ideas into a developing organization and help shape its direction. The successful candidate will lead a team of librarians and staff providing research support, instruction, and collection development across three highly-ranked Cornell schools; provide support in and serve as liaison to the Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management (Johnson); and actively participate in HLM leadership.
The HLM Library serves Cornell’s specialized business and labor schools, composed of Johnson, the School of Hotel Administration (SHA), and the Industrial & Labor Relations School (ILR), with more than 1,800 undergraduates, 1,400 graduate students, 150 full-time resident faculty, and extensive distance education, executive, and extension programs. Johnson recently ranked seventh among US MBA programs in BusinessWeek, while the specialized SHA and ILR schools are the top institutions in their fields. More information on the HLM Library can be found here: http://hlm.library.cornell.
Reporting to the Harriet Morel Oxman Director of the HLM Library, the Associate Director will:
• Manage a team of 10 librarians and staff providing research support, instruction, and collection development to the three Cornell schools supported by HLM.
• Serve as the lead library liaison to Johnson, understanding and communicating the needs of the school’s students and faculty in the context of the broader university environment.
• Serve on the HLM leadership group.
• Provide direct research support and instruction to the Johnson community.
The Associate Director will be an innovative, enthusiastic professional with a dedication to building, leading, and participating in teams, drawing on and contributing to the expertise of colleagues. Additionally, the successful candidate will:
• Demonstrate intellectual curiosity and willingness for strategic experimentation.
• Understand the changing research process and the need for user focused services.
• Model and maintain the HLM Library’s core values of collaboration, excellence, flexibility, innovation, integrity, and service.
• MLIS or equivalent graduate degree.
• At least 4 years of experience as a librarian in an academic or special library.
• Strong leadership skills, forward-looking and able to communicate a clear vision.
• Successful supervisory experience.
• Excellent problem solving, analytical, quantitative, and critical thinking skills.
• Ability to resolve competing demands in an environment of fast-paced change.
• Strong collegial, interpersonal, and written and oral communication skills.
• MBA or advanced degree in management, economics, or closely related field.
• Knowledge of business resources and librarianship.
• Experience/training in organizational development.
Cornell University is an Ivy League comprehensive research university located in Ithaca in the scenic Finger Lakes region of upstate New York. The town and university offer a unique cosmopolitan and international atmosphere in a beautiful natural setting of waterfalls, gorges, and lakes. The library is a leading academic research library with outstanding collections, service and instructional programs, and a leader in digital library applications including digitization of its print collections and development of strategies for curation of the research output of its faculty.
Comprehensive benefits package including 22 vacation days, 11 paid holidays, health insurance, life insurance, and university retirement contributions (TIAA-CREF and other options). Professional travel funding available.
Review of applications will begin on July 12, 2013. To apply, please visit: http://www.hr.cornell.edu/