The LACUNY Junior Faculty Research Roundtable (JFRR) & Professional Development Committee (PDC) are hosting a Fall 2018 event.
“From a practitioner librarian to a practitioner researcher: my personal experience.”
Presented by Professor Junli Diao, Cataloging & Serials Librarian, York College Library
The LACUNY JFRR and PDC are happy to have Professor Diao speak at our fall 2018 event. Prof. Diao is a very accomplished junior faculty librarian; since his time at York College, he has published articles in Cataloging & Classification Quarterly, the Journal of Library Metadata, and College & Research Libraries News just to name a few. For this talk, Professor Diao will share his experiences navigating the tenure-track process as an academic librarian within the City University of New York. In particular, his presentation will focus on scholarly writing and managing the peer-review process.
This will be an informal, yet enlightening discussion where the following themes will be addressed:
* From a practitioner librarian to a practitioner researcher: A journey of sweat and dust
* Not the end of the rainbow, but in the light midnight oil: My first research
* Identify research topics: Transform forced-awareness to self-awareness
* Mentor: The compass in uncharted waters
* They are not just reviewers, they’re ladders
* Communicate with reviewers: Being a heavy bag is better than a speed bag
* Rejection is one more piece wood in the fire: To be a phoenix or remain as a sparrow
* Work alone in the dark or work with someone in the light: Reaching out
* This is the best time I’ve ever had: Use your research leave wisely
Junior faculty (full-time and adjunct) and those new to the tenure and promotion process are encouraged to attend.
LOCATION: CUNY Graduate Center Library, 365 5th Ave, New York, NY 10016 room C196.05
DATE: Friday December 21, 2018
TIME: 2:00pm to 4:00pm
Please RSVP [docs.google.com] no later than Wednesday December 19th
If you are not a member of LACUNY and would like to join, here is the link.
The Junior Faculty Research Roundtable (JFRR) is a forum for untenured CUNY library faculty to discuss their research ideas, concerns, and experiences. JFRR holds regular meetings, maintain its own email list, and encourages exchange among colleagues with similar interests and/or complementary skills. Membership is open to all untenured CUNY library faculty. Co-chairs: Carl R. Andrews, BCC – email@example.com and Anthony Bishop, BMCC – firstname.lastname@example.org
The Professional Development Committee coordinates the LACUNY Professional Development Travel Grants and hosts or co-hosts programs that support the professional development of CUNY librarians. CHAIRS: Derek Stadler, LaGuardia Community College (dstadler@LAGCC.CUNY.EDU) & Michelle Ehrenpreis, Lehman College (Michelle.Ehrenpreis@lehman.cuny.edu)
*Light refreshments will be served